Thursday, February 24, 2011

Late February Fog

erikhenne
I am in such a funk these days. I feel this picture is a good analogy for how I am functioning. Winter is dragging on, and S.A.D. is taking it's toll. Most days when I get out of the day job, I just want to go home and get in bed. The thought of working in the studio seems so far away, an impossibility almost. My creativity, energy, and motivation are at a low point.



The best remedy I have found so far for this winter depression is activity. I set a goal which I will need to follow a structured training plan for, and then I rely on friends to keep me going. This spring I chose the Country Music Full Marathon as my goal. It will be my first full marathon- 26.2 miles throughout the rolling streets of Nashvegas on April 30.


I began training having painful  I.T. Band issues, but with a little physical therapy and lots of hip/ core strengthening exercises, I am back. I am thankful for my good health. Last weekend I ran 15 miles- the furthest I've ever run!



I am also thankful for my running group, East Nasty, and the great friends I have met through it. Recently, I have been inspired by a new runner, Roy, who decided he was ready to get healthy and took on the challenge of running the Tomato Fest 5k this past summer. After successfully completing that, he decided to train for the Country Music Half Marathon. At the end of a run last week, Roy suffered a heart attack. Thankfully kind people and capable medics were able to save him and no permanent damage was done.Years of unhealthy diet and exercise habits result often result in clogged arteries; heart diseases is the leading cause of death in the U.S. for men and women. Heart health is one of the great benefits of running, and I'm glad Roy started running when he did so that he had a stronger heart to get him through when he suffered the heart attack. He is recovering quickly and plans to continue training. What a great reminder of how important it really is to take care of our bodies, to eat and exercise so that health problems such as heart disease are not an impending fear.

To positive changes, to Roy, and to running- it's never too late to make a difference!

No comments: