Friday, June 27, 2008

And I Found A Fort.

Gunpowder Storage Room
I'm leaning back into a hole created a cannon ball hit.
Underground passage

The Atlantic in the distance
Fort Moultrie

Oh yes. I don't know what my deal is, but over the past couple of years I have become really intrigued by forts. If I were a ten year old boy this might be normal, but as a woman in her early thirties I feel it may be a bit abnormal. I stand in forts and imagine what happened in that very spot, what someone saw as they fought for what they wanted. I mentioned Sullivan's Island in my previous post... it is where my latest fort exploration occurred.
On a separate (from downtown) leg of my Charleston area bike tour, I biked out to the end of Sullivan's Island to Fort Moultrie. For a minimal $3 (only $1 for seniors!) I was able to revisit 171 years of American seacoast defense (1776- 1947)- not a bad deal.



No comments: