Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Coincidence?



This week, I learned that the idea for the original Ironman Triathlon was conceived in 1977 byU.S. Navy Commander John Collins. Already an athlete, he and his friends/training buddies often debated which kind of athlete was MOST fit: runners, cyclists, or swimmers? Collins suggested that the debate be settled by combining three existing long distance competitions on the island (Hawaii) where they were stationed- and thus began the epic event we know as the Hawaiian Ironman!

"What's the big deal?", you might ask. Well, something else epic was born in 1977 and it was ME.
That's right. I will regard my recent triathlon trivia discovery as affirmation of the athletic track (pun intended) I've been on this year.

Here is a summary thus far:
1) Springer Farms 5k, personal best time
2) Country Music half marathon, personal best time 2.11min(although I wanted it to be 2hr)
3) Watkin's Biggest Loser, yes I lost 24 lbs between mid January and early May to win 1st in a workplace weight loss challenge

Here are my future goals:
1) Warrior Dash, this weekend (as pictured above!!!) (not me)
2) Off road triathlon, this summer
3) Half Marathon, this fall
4) Celebrate 33rd Birthday injury free and in great shape, August 8

I'm excited to continue on this path -setting new goals and pushing myself. I am intimidated at times but I push on, and so far it's been a blast.



No comments: