Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Does There Have To Be A First Time For Everything?


What a gorgeous autumn week in Nashville. After almost two weeks of daily rain and general gloominess, the sun is FINALLY back out. The timing is perfect for me, as I've been preparing to start this outdoor mural. It's been a little while since I've done mural work, but I definitely do enjoy it. This project is to beautify/ bring life to a formerly dark and dull-ish space. I'm taking lots of "before" and "after", as well as "in between" pics; I'm pretty excited about this transformation!
My goal for this job is to complete it by Saturday afternoon- just in time for the First Saturday Art Crawl. By the way, I'm dying to see Julia Martin and David Hellam's work at the Rymer this Saturday. Now for the details: the mural is on the Downtown Presbyterian Church's elevator door. The elevator is located near Church Street right around from the sanctuary's entrance. It's adjacent to the Viridian building, if that helps. I don't think you'll be able to miss it!
I do have a couple fun facts for you regarding today's process of painting in public; these facts, hopefully, will illustrate what a glamorous life I lead. First, setting up to begin work, a stranger approached me and asked "Are you hungry?". He glanced at the cardboard I'd spread next to the door; I was using it as a drop cloth, but apparently that combined with my ratty work clothes/ no make-up look made me easily mistaken for a homeless woman. Second, while most passersby went quickly and quietly on their way, a handful stopped to chat. So, when one particular passerby lingered, commenting "Pretty door", I didn't think much of it. I thought he might be drunk so I (unfortunately) kept an eye on him. He took a couple steps passed me then stopped and faced the same wall as me. I had a horrible feeling I knew what was about to happen. When I heard the trickling sound 5 seconds later, it was no longer a feeling- but a reality. Yes, a stranger urinated next to me as I worked. Really. Third, although this is not directly a part of the process, I feel it bears mentioning- there is a gentleman I see regularly walking in my neighborhood (Wedgewood between 8th and 21st)who perplexes me. I'd say he's in his late 50's and has a passion for pimp fashion. On any given day this is the type of ensemble you'll catch him sporting: tight rolled (on one leg) acid wash jeans, a silk button down, a black cowboy hat, pointy boots, and assorted costume jewelry. My man, where do you even find this stuff? Where are you going? WHO ARE YOU? Please don't ever pee next to me.

No comments: