Sunday, October 25, 2009

Refilling the Well






On a tip from a friend (thanks Geoff) I bought a new book by author and cartoonist Hugh MacLeod. The title "Ignore Everybody and 39 Other Keys to Creativity" pretty much tips you off to it's subject matter; I'm on number 36 and have totally enjoyed it. It has an awesomely humorous edge, and a very realistic take on creative endeavors, making it well worth $23.95 plus shipping.
Chapter 25 "Don't worry about finding inspiration. It comes eventually." is a pretty good example. I want to just type up the whole dang chapter, but I'm afraid you'll get bored. Also, the book is worth buying- so get it! I thought of the chapter today- this afternoon. This afternoon I was having adventures, living life with the people I love and "refilling my well". My well of inspiration needs to be full to overflowing so that I have something to offer in my work; I need enough energy and ideas that I can communicate something worth your time. I can't help myself, I'm going to type part of the chapter, but I WILL limit myself to one paragraph.
"Conversely, neither should you fret too much about "writer's block," or "artist's block," or whatever. If you're looking at a blank piece of paper and nothing comes to you, then go do something else. Writer's block is just a symptom of feeling like you have nothing to say, combined with the rather weird idea that you feel the need to say something."
The pictures are from our trip out to Honeysuckle Hill Farm. I would highly recommend it! I think we ended up with one of the most beautiful autumn days possible. The trees are finally starting to blaze with color, and after a month of rainy coolness the sun came out and warmed our faces. Plus, I got to see pigs race-
what more could I ask for?

No comments: