This Saturday, the 7th, is the first Saturday of the month- hence the First Saturday Gallery Crawl. I realized there will be some peeps I know going that have never been before, and decided there should be an illustrated intro to this whole dealio. This is a basic map pointing out my favorite stops in the area. There are several more places along the way, so if you've got time by all means check them out. If you're not good with time, and need to prioritize destinations, these are my top picks for February.
1) Downtown Presbyterian Church (Yes, it's a church. Enter the big dining hall on the 5th Ave side.): Elizabeth Streight and Sarah Hearld exhibit photography. They got the Scene's "Critic's Pick"!
2) the Rymer: Looking forward to paintings by W.B. Tomkins.
3) Tinney Contemporary: "Stop Look Listen" Three unique artists focusing on the human body and communication.
4) the Arcade Building: the mini gallery mecca. There are quite a few of my favorite galleries on the upper level of the Arcade, such as Twist; just make a loop around the upper level and see! Oh, and, Eastern Block will be preforming live in the Arcade for this evening. YES.
5) Estel: It's worth the stroll over several blocks to 8th. It's a beautiful space that always hangs quality work.
I believe that sums it up! The only other detail is time; it goes from 6-9:00. Six may seem early, but I recommend not waiting till too late, because it's not fun to feel rushed (and the wine will run out by the end of the evening).